Friday, December 18, 2009

Dear PooBah: Friday Mail

It's Friday and there is snow in the forecast, which made me think of the perfect winter bike I found on Craigslist the other day.  I thought I would share it with you in case anyone was interested.



"Perfect for commuting and just leaving outdoors.  Great for everyday use.  Great "Winter bike".  I can't remember if it is a Mens or a Womens, but I know it's 3-speed.  Pick up only.  Bring a shovel."


On to the mail!


Dear PooBah,
I read your post yesterday with great interest.  Right up until the end, when you mocked the most famous of all bikes, the Penny Farthing, by showing some shleprock in an endo as your version of "Biking 1.0".  Not cool, PooBah....not cool at all.  Consider this reader "not amused", as you like to say.  Oh, by the way - I thought you would like to see my ride.
Chauncey H.
Secretary, Mid-Missouri Regional Penny Farthing Club



Chauncey,
Thanks so much for your note.  Nice bike.  I didn't know Velocity made deep-V rims in dayglo-green!



Dear PooBah,
Dude, I need your help.  I shacked up with this chick that I met on my bike commute home last night on the trail.  She seemed a little kooky - but hot as hell!!!  We ended up back at my appartment and she stayed the night.  During the night she got up to do something - but came back to bed pretty quick - so I thought she just might have gone to the bathroom and didn't think any more about it.  Anyway - I got up early this morning for work and told her to make herself at home and leave whenever she wanted to.  When I got outside and tried to retrieve my bike from the rack outside my building, this is what I found.  I took the bus instead.  WTF do I do now???
Thanks!
Bill


Bill,
I'm just going to take a stab at things here, but I think she may be wanting to take the relationship to the next level.  On the upside - if she is as serious about you as I think she is, maybe she'll clean your bike for you?  The thing's a wreck!

Hey PooBah!
I have been trying to think of a color scheme for the new fixie I'm building up but can't decide on any.  Well, last night, I was looking through GQ and saw this!  What do you think of these colors?
Bryce



Bryce,
I agree the color scheme is impressive, but not as much as the pants this guy has on.  I mean - with that much room in the crotch - you've got the space to carry your patch kit, a pump, your lunch and maybe a small squirrel that could act as your butler.


Dear PooBah,
Do you really think Bradley Wiggins finds his inspiration in Johnny Rotten, as you wrote about in one of your posts last week?
Thanks!
Sid V.

Sid:
Perhaps you're right.  That photo of Wiggins I used was taken last year in Boulder, CO at the 2009 Garmin-Slipstream Team Welcome party, so was a little outdated.  This year, I think he might be channeling Twiggy.


Dear PooBah,
I hate my parents!  They don't understand me at all.  I just want to take off on my bike and ride as far away as I can!  Are there any bike gangs you know of that I could join, like the marauding bike pirates you spoke of yesterday?  Like the kind that is depicted in the new 30 Seconds to Mars music video?

Can you give me some advice?
Thanks,
Chelsea


Chelsea,
Well it looks like you are halfway there!  You've got the bike and some sweet jammies that could double as your bike-gang costume.  My only suggestion is that you ditch your little brother's Etch-A-Sketch for spreading pirate-like anarchy in place of an iPhone.  They have an app for that.


Hey PooBah-
I thought your 'Ninja Rider' post was completely ridiculous.  That is, until I found this picture of Alberto Contador taken while he was training in Italy last week!  Do you think he could be moonlighting as one?
George M.



George-
Could be.  But I'm thinking he's moonlighting as the lead singer in a new boy band with Boonen and at least one of the Schlecks instead. 


Thanks for reading everyone.  Stay warm this weekend and ride safe.

Pedal on!

No comments:

Post a Comment